Monday, September 29, 2008

GUEST BLOG: The Artist Side Of Creating The Quantum Tarot - by Christopher Butler

GUEST BLOG: The Artist Side Of Creating The Quantum Tarot - by Christopher Butler

Winner announced 10/3/2008. Comment entries closed 11:45pm 10/2/2008

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Arwen -- I wasn't sure if I should leave the question for Chris here on your blog or on his blog...but after searching his blogs and trying to find the right entry on which to comment, I came back here! Haha, it's just too early in the morning for me to be doing this stuff, I guess.

Anyway, I hope my question counts if I leave it here, because this question is definitely burning in my mind:

Chris, I was wondering, now that you've created several decks, how has your creative-process changed or evolved? I'm imagining that your process grows and changes as you grow... but also that you grow and change in response to your creations... but I really would love to hear your take on it.

And here's my link!
http://maidenelf.typepad.com/maidenelfs_private_beech/2008/09/contest.html


:) Annette
maidenelf7@yahoo.com
http://maidenelf.typepad.com

Lisa said...

Wow... what a beautifully created work of art... really amazing work.

I'm quite drawn to this deck even if it is simply a Major Arcana set. Its not my usual style... I've really been favouring the Karen Mahoney & Alex Ukulov stuff for a long time now, along with my Kipling West Halloween Tarot which really does have to be my favourite to date... my cards are starting to show some signs of repeated use!!

I've also bee working on reading from playing cards again... the way my gran taught me when I was younger... its so much more difficult without the symbolosm of the tarot deck though!

Brightest Blessings

Tana-Rowanne x

Tryphyna said...

I am stunned with the beauty of this deck, and am glad you spoke of the process that created it.
This deck is definitely on my must have list now.
What are the other decks you used for imagery? And how did your previous work impact the Quantum deck?

Tarot By Arwen said...

Thanks 'Nette!

Queeny, the Quantum is a full Tarot deck. The contest is for the Majors only Son Tarot. The other images are from Chris' yet to be named deck. :)

Shana, isn't it just gorgeous?

Christopher is in the UK so I am not sure when he will be by. He may be asleep right now. LOL Let's talk bad about him until he wakes up. MUAHAHAHAHA

Asylumgirl said...

These are gorgeous and so psychedelic. I'm curious, how exactly was it decided to use images from the Hubble?

Deidre
deidre_durance@hotmail.com

Chris said...

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late replies. As Arwen says, different time zones cause problems!

To answer Annette's question first,

Hi Annette.
Yes indeed, my creative process has changed considerably, even since Kay and I completed work on the Quantum Tarot. A lot of this has to do with technical ability - there are things I can do in Photoshop now that I couldn't have dreamed of two years ago. Secondly, and probably more importantly, I've found the whole creative process changes as my understanding of the Tarot deepens. The cards I want to create now are quite different from the ones I wanted to create five or so years ago when I began work on my first deck. x

Hi Shana-Marie,
In terms of decks for reference, we tried where possible to stay close to a Rider Waite framework to give the deck a wider appeal and make it easier to read with on a practical level. You'll notice however that we've only adhered to the Rider Waite loosely. Where we couldn't practically duplicate the Rider images, for example on the Eight of Swords, we turned to the Thoth deck. The arrangement of the swords mirrors Freida Harris's image. The Death card was modelled on the Marseilles image but we added our own twists. Similarly, our Magician is more of a Juggler, albeit a cosmic one! There are other influences too, such as the Visconti Sforza for the Wheel of Fortune. the Phallic nature of the Ace of wands was loosely inspired by the Robin Wood Tarot. Over the question of my previous work, yes, it did impact on the Quantum Tarot - I cut my teeth technically on the first two decks, giving me the extra skills necessary to work on Kay's concept.Hope this helps. x

Hi Deirdre,
It was Kay's decision to use Hubble Space Telescope images and this was central to the concept. Kay's first deck, the Universe Cards used straightforward Hubble photos to illustrate the cards in their first edition. Kay wanted to expand on this concept but also to create something more fantasy based. In some instances, the images were chosen because of what they suggested (The Eagle Nebula in the Hanged Man for example). In other instances, the photo used illustrates the concept of the card directly. x

Tana-Rowanne,
I'm glad you like the deck! We must have done something right if it's turned your eyes away from Karen and Alex's decks! Their work is awesome. x

Arwen,
You're a star and a fantastic blog hostess. As such you get full licence to gossip about me when I'm asleep!! LOL

Chris. xx

Anonymous said...

Chris, this is an absolutely beautiful deck! I am a beginner in reading the tarot and as such have not let myself purchase any new decks until I become familiar and comfortable with my current one, but this one just calls to me. The illustrations are just gorgeous! This is most definitely going on my wish list!
Thank you, Arwen for having Chris here! I love your blog.
~ Shelly

Chris said...

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for a wonderful compliment! You're very wise to stick with a single deck as you're learning. When you do branch out however, you'll find Kay's accompanying book that comes with the Quantum Tarot is an invaluable guide to the cards. She gives clear links between the traditional meanings of each card and the scientific theories she based them on.

Chris. xx

Cathie said...

Wow! Those are GORGEOUS! Nice to meet you, Chris, and nice to have a chance to see your work. Arwen is a sweetheart, isn't she?

I loved your comments about the creative process; sometimes working with a partner seems like both the best AND worst idea in the world, at the same time! But it's always worth it with the right partner, and clearly you and Kay have an artistic synergy/gynergy that flows beautifully well!

Cath

Cathie said...

Okay, I posted about the contest in my blog, and included a link. *grin*

http://dreambit1.blogspot.com/2008/10/blog-to-check-out.html

Cath

Chris said...

Hi Cath,

Thanks for your lovely comments. You're right about creative partnership - neither Kay or I could pretend the process of working together was easy. Veritable sparks flew during some of our work sessions but at the end of the day, the results speak for themselves. For most of the time, working together was harmonious but we learned to accept that friction could easily arise, particularly after spending the best part of five hours staring into a computer screen. When I look back at the intensity of the work sessions and the speed with which we completed the project, it's surprising there was as little friction as there was.

Chris. x

cowriemoon said...

Hi Christopher,

I am wondering if The Quest Tarot, by Joseph Martin, inspired you in any shape or form in creation of your new deck?

Thanks,
Ms. Nadezda Karuna
www.shakticonjure.com

Chris said...

Hi Nadezda,

Yes, I do own a copy of the Quest Tarot and admire it greatly. The Quest was a big influence in the early development of the Son Tarot. I originally wanted to create something as multi-functional' as Joseph's deck but I soon realised that it was just too much to take in with the gay theme on top. I eventually simplified the cards right down to let the gay issues speak for themselves. Artistically however, the influence remains. Joseph Martin uses colour in an incredibly rich way and that left a huge impression on me. Stevee Postman's Cosmic Tribe Tarot has been a huge influence on my work, as has the unpublished Nijinsky Tarot by Neil Lovell. It staggers me that no publisher has taken this one on as it's awesome. The biggest influence of all however is Ciro Marchetti. Our styles may be different (and his work is infinitely superior to mine on an artistic and technical level) but he became my online mentor and taught me most of what I know about photoshop. He's a very special person and a one in a million artist.

Chris. x

Unknown said...

Thanks for your reply, Chris. It is interesting because I though about the Quest as I saw the 8 of Cups image... I can see the "Marchetti" influence too. His work is fabulous and inspiring on many levels, and it's lovely to know that he has offered his mentorship to another artist.
Blessings,
Ms. Nadezda Karuna
www.shakticonjure.com